Swaddling, when performed safely and correctly, is a very beneficial way to pacify newborns; in fact, they are swaddled right after birth in order to recreate the comfortable environment of the womb. Swaddling assists in calming babies, helping them sleep and preventing them from startling themselves awake with their arms.
It is essential, however, to know how to swaddle a baby correctly, to guarantee there is no threat to the baby’s safety. Criticisms of swaddling generally revolve around the inaccurate application of the practice. It is imperative to make sure that baby’s hips and legs can move freely, and that they are always put to sleep on their back.
Like anything else in parenting, the decision on whether or not to swaddle your child boils down to individual choice. Swaddling a newborn is tremendously useful in relaxing them and helping them to sleep. The very first weeks with a brand-new baby are incredibly difficult—you are taking care of a brand-new life, one who is still getting used to being on the planet and is unsure how to relate to the world and to themselves. There are many versions of sleep sacks and swaddles available on the market; however, no other brands offer the same amount of ease and comfort as the HALO SleepSack Swaddle.
Suggested Reading: 10 Best Baby Clothes
How to Use the Halo Sleepsack Swaddle and Review
It is extremely important to understand how to properly use the Halo Sleepsack Swaddle.
Gently put the baby inside the sleepsack as you would a traditional onesie, slipping their arms through the arm holes and tucking their feet within the swaddle, finishing by zipping up the entire suit.
Then employ the two “wings” to swaddle baby’s arms; use the attached velcro to secure shut the left wing across the baby’s torso and under their left arm, then the right “wing” across both baby’s left arm and torso, fastening the sleepsack shut with velcro.
The Halo Sleepsack Swaddle is not to be confused with the routine Halo SleepSack, which does not swaddle— the Swaddlers model incorporates a unique velcro-style wrap design which provides comfort and warmth to your child. The majority of mothers choose a micro-fleece 100% polyester variation of the Halo Sleepsack Swaddle, while others prefer a 100% cotton version. In both instances, new parents enjoy its full-body zipper, which allows easy access to diaper changing, and velcro style.
Parents also like how if desired it can be used as a standard sleep sack (arms out) or a swaddle (arms in). This is valuable as the baby grows, as most babies after 3-4 months will find ways to wiggle their arms out of a swaddle, and Halo advises stopping swaddling in 4-6 months period. The dual function of the Halo SleepSack Swaddle allows parents to keep using the product even after their newborn has outgrown swaddling.
The Halo SleepSack Swaddle is a big time saver for those who are not happy doing the old-fashioned swaddle wrap, or who wish to save some time and effort. It is a lot easier to utilize than traditional swaddle blankets because it is a “sack” you can put your baby into, providing free leg movement and preventing you from having to squeeze your newborn’s feet into onsie bottoms. It zips down, so it’s quite simple to change diapers if needed because it opens from the bottom. Also, the velcro “wings” offer an adjustable fit to make sure your little angel is snug.
When your baby seems strong and agile enough to break out of the swaddle, stop utilizing the swaddling portion of the sleepsack—otherwise, there is some risk of them pushing the velcro “wings” up over their face. Note that buckling into safety seat with this type of swaddle (and even just a sleep sack) can be hard at times, particularly for the buckle between the legs.
If baby does not need his arms wrapped up any longer or wishes to take a shorter nap, the Halo SleepSack Swaddle can be utilized arms-out. This choice is particularly convenient for those babies who require some extra warmth in their belly region throughout cooler months, to keep them warm and avoid catching a cold.
The Pro’s of Halo Sleepsack Swaddle
- It is simple to utilize – The swaddle is quick and simple to use; you can do it in your sleep.
- It’s safe – There are no loose blankets that could come undone or get caught.
- The baby can move easily – Because the baby is in a sleep sack and just the arms are swaddled, there is no threat of the swaddle being too tight around baby’s hips or legs.
- It comes in a variety of materials – Consisting of 100 percent cotton and/or micro-fleece, you can select the most appropriate option for your climate, the time of year or your household needs
- You can swaddle with arms in or out – This is one of the most versatile swaddles on the market, The Halo Sleepsack Swaddle gives the alternative of wrapping the folds under the babies arms, to develop a routine sleep sack which still conjures the sensation of cozy secureness.
- Make quick adjustments – The swaddle quickly unzips at the bottom, a beneficial feature as it prevents parents from having to take the baby out of the sleepsack each time they want to change a diaper.
- Its best bang for your buck – As baby items go, these swaddles are reasonably budget-friendly compared to other ‘swaddle blankets’ on the market. You’ll most likely want to buy a couple in order to always keep a clean one on hand.
In conclusion, the Halo SleepSack Swaddle is an outstanding alternative for any of you who wish to swaddle your newborn both rapidly and safely.