Stressed? Tired? Sleepy? Are you battling with getting the sleep your body needs? Your solution might just be the right essential oil diffuser blends for sleep.
These blends harness the power of aromatherapy to help relax your body and mind; ideally, they will help you drift right off to sleep, stay asleep through the night, and get up feeling rejuvenated and well-rested!
Aromatherapy is a type of natural medicine that relies on our sense of smell. Practitioners use natural organic essential oils from plants to recover the mind, body, and soul.
Essential oils have been known to be used for many purposes, from increasing your state of concentration to reducing anxiety to relieving migraines. In this article we’ll focus on how essential oil blends can be used before bed to relax and unwind the body and mind, preparing you for sleep and staying in a good night sleep.
But first, here’s Mom Bureau’s List of Essentials oils for a good night’s sleep:
- Lavender – Lavender is often noted for its calming effects on its users. I relax muscles which might be tense from the stressors of daily life.
- Cedarwood – This essential oil contains an earthy, woodsy scent, which aids in calming anxious thoughts before sleep. It is a great addition to sleep diffuser blends
- Vetiver – Vetiver is a lesser-known essential oil which helps to unwind emotional turbulence and turmoil.
- Marjoram – This aroma helps relieve emotional stress and trauma with its slightly spiced, charming scent.
- Roman Chamomile – One of the most often used essential oils for sleep, Roman chamomile carries a heavily floral scent which eases the mind and body and calms down troubling thoughts.
- Bergamot – This essential oil is an adaptogen, which means it can both stimulate and relax your body depending on your current needs and the way it is used with other ingredients in essential oil blends. The aroma has light citrus notes.
- Wild (Sweet) Orange – Wild Orange essence is similar to Bergamot in its aroma profile, containing a very pleasing citrus-floral scent. Also like Bergamot, it is an adaptogen.
- Grounding Blend – The term “grounding blend” refers to an overall collection of several essential oil blends, often including aromas such as blue tansy, frankincense, and spruce. These mixes provide potent soothing and calming effects which make them ideal to use in your essential oil diffuser recipes for sleeping.
- Frankincense – This essential oil has a high spice profile which brings peaceful feelings of warmth and myrrh— for this reason, it is often associated with the Christmas holidays. Frankincense often enhances the properties of the other essential oils when combined in a blend, and is known to equilibrate mood swings.
- Patchouli – This is a pungent, musky aroma which adds a grounding quality to your essential oil blend.
- Hawaiian Sandalwood – This is one of the most well-known essential oils— its scent is used in everything from car fresheners to laundry detergent. However, it has gained this popularity for a reason; when used in its pure form, its rich, sweet, and oaky scents help in relaxing the body and contain strong, meditative benefits.
- Calming Blend – this is another umbrella term, referring to essential oil blends offered by multiple different companies. Calming blends typically include essential oils like lavender, ylang-ylang, marjoram, and Roman chamomile. As the name suggests, they offer calming effects which bring profound peace of mind to its users.
Recommended Product: Artizen Aromatherapy Top 14 Essential Oil Set
Essential oil diffuser blends for helping you fall and stay asleep:
1. Evening Ecstasy
1 drop Patchouli + 1 drop Lavender + 1 drop Frankincense + 1 drop Bergamot
Add a single drop of Patchouli, Lavender, Frankincense and Bergamot into your infuser to help you instantly calm and soothe your body. This grounding scent will waft through your bedroom quickly for instant effects.
2. Peace in Paradise
- 4 drops Lavender + 3 drops Cedarwood
This is an excellent sleep diffuser blend which focuses on relieving daily stress and anxiety. The delicious mix has a strong wood and earth profile.
3. Winter Wonderland
- 2 drops Ylang Ylang + 2 drop Lavender + 1 drop Cedarwood + 1 drop Sweet Marjoram
This intricate blend of essential oils provides a refreshingly cool scent within your room. This infusion will help you instantly drift off to sleep.
4. Soothing Sleep
- 1 drop Cedarwood + 1 drop Marjoram + 1 drop Lavender
Another essential oil blend which we found particularly potent as a sleep aid. This mixture contains the popular lavender scent, which adds a floral note to this earthy blend.
5. Revved and Refreshed
- 3 drops Sweet Orange + 2 drops Frankincense
Spicy Frankincense pairs with sweet citrus of orange to create a perfect blend for relaxing the mind. Not only can this be used to help you fall and stay asleep, but is also good for winding down during daytime activities.
- 1 drop Cedarwood + 1 drop Chamomile + 1 drop Lavender + 1 drop Vetiver + 1 drop Bergamont
This unique blend contains a mixture of woody floral, and citrus and citrus scents. It is a well-rounding and deep essential oil diffuser recipe for sleep.
7. Sweet Dreams
- 5 drops Frankincense + 3 drops Vetiver
Diffuse this strong Frankincense tincture for 15-20 minutes before bedtime, and allow yourself fade off to sleep incredibly quickly
8. Aromatherapy Assistance
- 2 drops Orange + 2 drops Lavender + 2 drops Chamomile
Chamomile is an ideal scent for relaxing and helping you fall asleep during those days filled with stress and anxiety. Matching is with Lavender and Orange really enables you to turn your mind off and drift into dreamland with ease.
- 4 drops Lemon + 3 drops Orange + 1 drop Cedarwood
Strong, sweet citrus pairs with faint notes of cedar to create an essential oil blend which can easily be used on a daily basis to refresh your home and bedroom both day and night.
10. Calm and Collected
- 2 drops Patchouli + 1 drop Vetiver + 1 drop Orange
Patchouli and vetiver are excellent grounding essences which can significantly affect your mood. Paired together, they help you clear negative emotions, such as stress and anxiety, and allow your mind to clear for a peaceful night’s sleep.
If you experience issues falling or staying asleep, definitely give aromatherapy and the essential oil diffuser recipes for sleep a try! Just combine the essential oils mentioned above, set by your bedside, and you’ll be in dreaming in no time!