Everybody ought to be aware of eating conditions regardless of culture, economic status, gender, and health status to be able to avoid additional psychological, emotional and physical disturbances.
For moms and dads of kids with eating disorders, assistance is out there. Moms and dads need allies in the fight versus an eating condition. They need to deal with a team of knowledgeable specialists who can resolve the dietary, mental and medical requirements of their child. However, children can’t typically express what they struggle with mentally, so moms and dads can look out for the silent signs of an eating disorder.
Why do food issues arise?
The problems arise for three main reasons:
- The baby has a medical problem and accordingly does not eat well.
- The child has behavioral or psychological problems related to the moment of the meal.
- Parents don’t split duties at dinner time. Also, here I don’t state division among dad and mother, yet among mother and baby (or father and baby, depending on who usually gives the meal). But what does that mean? Parents often want to require the amount that the baby should eat at each meal and do not respect their signs of fullness, which is a severe mistake.
But why do some children refuse to eat (some or many foods)?
A baby or child may refuse to eat for some reasons:
- You haven’t developed the ability to eat a particular food (you can’t eat an apple with bites when you are five months old).
- The baby has different preferences, similar to an adult. He has flavors that he doesn’t like and won’t eat.
- There is the question of neophobia, which is the fear of the new, common in the food issue during childhood.
- The baby has medical issues that make it difficult to eat some food.
How do parents influence the eating habits of their children?
All parents, particularly mothers, have a protective style of food. This style can be controlling, passive, tolerant, or responsive. Why particularly moms? Since feeding them is an essential issue (more so than for parents). They believe they have to sustain the baby at any cost to guarantee their survival. It’s instinctive. Also, this intense feeling usually ends up disturbing the process.